Friday, August 31, 2012

Of Little Importance



For a brief moment today I thought to myself, "how strange I am!" Despite how I present, as keeping up with pop culture, I am surprisingly knowledge deficient. Ask me who won what, or what actor was in the movie I just watched, or what game is coming out and you will be met with a blank stare as I furiously try and dig the information out. Usually to no avail. I never follow stars, I never sit out in the wee hours of the morning waiting for a shop to open so I can buy something, I don’t care for midnight showings of movies, and I would never scream for a famous person. Don’t get me wrong! I enjoy many things. I’ll watch a game, movie, or t.v. show and enjoy it. There are even a few show I have seen all off. I have been known to play games occasionally and find them fun and fascinating. I love music and dance. However, there are few things I follow (and nothing I have yet thought of). What’s wrong with me? Everyone seems to know more about music, movies, t.v., culture, etc. than I do. It was only a moment after I asked myself this exact question that I realized, nothing! Nothing is wrong with me. I do truly love and interest myself in a few things. I spend my time following God, seeking Him, knocking to find the door open. If I yell, it’s for him, if I stand out in the wee hours of the morning it’s to do something for him. I don’t follow the lives of celebrities because I follow the lives of my friends. I am intimately interested in their day to day lives. I don’t care who wins what sport or game, because I really only care that I am making a difference in the lives of those around me.That other people are winning, and I am there to give them what I can.
I am not saying that my friends, who do remember such things, are any worse off. I find that most of them have a better capacity for memory than I do, and just manage to retain this information easily, when I cannot. (thank goodness, they can bail me out when I have no idea what someone is talking about). So essentially if something IS wrong with me, it is more along the lines of not paying attention or failing to remember information I find irrelevant.Could be worse.
Again, do not hear me wrong. I am not saying all these things are bad, many of them are good and we should enjoy them. What I am saying is, it is of no worth to put stock in them. Wise people put their time and energy into things that are worthwhile and eternal. The world is big, and filled with suffering, God is bigger and filled with compassion. We shouldn't be following or attached to things that have no worth. If I have little attachment to the things of this world I am far better off and better equipped to be His hands and feet. Its still a process. Attachment pops up everywhere. I know that I need to constantly reevaluate what is important to me, and I hope you will as well.

P.S. This happened to be my devotion verse for the day, :)  
 1 John 2:15-17
“Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.  For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.  The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.

No comments :

Post a Comment